Public relations and communications organizations provide many resources to help their members achieve success. While networking and building relationships with new and seasoned professionals are my favorite elements of membership, there is a priceless value for the inspiration provided from being surrounded by others who have a passion for the industry you love and a genuine desire to impact it and the world.
As I organized documents from the Public Relations Student Society of America and Public Relations Association of Mississippi events this year, I became motivated again by the words of several speakers.
Here are eight golden nuggets to embrace this week. Enjoy!
“A true professional doesn’t do what they do to make money; they make money because they do what they do.”
- Jon Williams, Professional Speaker
“Find something that you’re passionate about and have the passion to do it.”
- Rick Looser, Chief Operating Officer | Cirlot Agency
“Work hard, pray hard, and when the door opens, walk through it.”
- Dr. John E. Forde, Professor and Head of the Department of Communication | Mississippi State University
“Career is very important, but its only one piece of who you are; do something to invest in yourself every day.”
- Paula Kerger, President and Chief Executive Officer | PBS
“Everything we do is more impactful if we do it together.”
- Megan Burkes, Associate Director for Public Relations and Donor Programs | The University of Southern Mississippi Foundation
“Apply understanding before you start talking.”
- Bruce Andrews, Deputy Secretary of Commerce | US Department of Commerce
“The only time you look in your neighbor’s bowl is to make sure they have enough.”
- Louis C.K.
- Referenced by Jacqueline Lee, Editor | Dime Entertainment
“All of our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.”
- Walt Disney
- Referenced by Marshall Ramsey, Editorial Cartoonist | The Clarion-Ledger
What are some of your favorite scriptures, quotes or advice you live by? Share below.
Jasmine C. Tate